Sunday, September 9, 2012

"Eternal Generation of the Son" Book Review

There aren't many times that as I am reading a book I think to myself, "You know, this book might be one of the best books I've read this year." I certainly didn't think that as I was reading The Eternal Generation of the Son by Kevin Giles. In fact, I thought to myself as I picked up the book, "Really? We need an entire book defending this?"

Well, as it turns out, it IS one of the best books I've read this year and I am more convinced than ever that a full-scale treatment of the eternal generation of the Son was and is necessary. Thankfully, Kevin Giles is such an extremely clear, thorough, efficient and engaging author that reading a book that is fairly technical in subject matter, was enjoyable.

Without going into too much detail, most major Evangelical theologians deny the eternal generation of the Son. Authors such as Grudem, Driscoll and others blatantly reject the doctrine as old-fashioned and something that causes more confusion that benefit. However, as Giles demonstrates so well, the eternal generation of the Son prevents theologians from falling into sloppy thinking concerning the Trinity and helps keep our theology clear.

Biblical warrant for the doctrine aside, Giles does a profoundly amazing job of tracing the historical development behind the doctrine. By the time I was done, I was completely convinced that this was a doctrine that Evangelicals had to adopt and quickly. There are few books that so thoroughly convince me on a topic and yet Giles has done it.

This is a book pastors and professors need to read. Although it is, admittedly, a somewhat nuanced and technical read, it is extremely beneficial and will certainly help clarify your own thinking on the Trinity. Pick it up today!

*Thanks to IVP Academic for providing me with a free review copy of this work in exchanged for an unbiased book review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment